Interview with JAYTECH [2009]

Friday, January 29, 2010



Interview originally conducted last 4th of April 2009 for Trancecommunity via email by Motionmigs. [I am currently not affiliated with the site anymore.]

Signed on Anjunadeep, James Cayzer, aka Jaytech proved to be an indispensable icon on the label. J claims to make trance-like house music and progressive house music and everything in between with his trademark technical, but lush sound. Moreover, if I remember it right, Jaytech's debut album "Everything is OK" is also a milestone for the Anjunadeep label for it is the first full-length artist album released on the growing label. Call him whatever you like, Jaytech, J, James, or even Jimbo, but get one thing straight, Jaytech has proven that the future of the progressive house scene is bright.

Hello there, what's up Jaytech? (That's one of the questions already. haha!)

At the moment I am up, in the air, as I am completing this interview on a plane to Chelyabinsk. Ha!

After seeing your hectic gig schedules, which trail from Jakarta to
Russia, I was just wondering, how are you able to spend time with your
loved ones back home despite being always on-the-go ?

Nowadays I am making sure to head back to Australia for a few weeks every 3 months or so. I was away from home for 9 months last year and while I kept in contact with everyone over Skype it was still pretty hard. I'll be back in Australia in May to catch up with my friends and family, and play some gigs of course as well : )

Do you think that the internet is a powerful tool in promoting your
productions? In what way?

Yeah, the internet has been vital to my success as it's been my main marketing tool. There are many things to keep tabs on and it's a lot of work, but through things like my podcast, newsletters and the occasional social networking the internet is really helping me get my music out there.

I was lucky to grab a copy of your album while I was in Hong Kong last
December, and I was just wondering, what does the title "Everything is
ok" have to do with your music?

Actually the title originally came from the picture, as I have always liked that photo. The story behind it is, there was a public pillow fight in San Francisco and that barricade tape was used to let passers by know that it was all in good fun and not a serious event. I just thought that notion was really cool.

I know it's not summer there anymore, but if you were given a chance
to visit or even to spin in just one beach around the world, which one
would it be? How come?


Maybe Brighton Beach, like Fatboy Slim did. But it would need to be to 200,000 people, no less, hahaha.

I can't help but notice the uniqueness of your work compared to other
producers out there, what had motivated you in forming this
technical, but lush and uplifting sound of yours?

I guess I found the prog sound circa 2002-2003 really captivating, that was a time when a lot of people were sitting on the fence between progressive and trance, so you had a lot of records coming out that had a really great groove but also told a story. I think that kind of sound is getting harder to find now but it's by no means old news. There's still so much that people are doing with this style that's new and inventive.

If you were given a chance to pick a DJ whom you would like spin with
for a major event, who would it be, and why?

DJ PROFF, from Moscow, as he is doing the same kind of music and he's on the Anjunadeep label. But I did manage to actually play with him last night for the first time and we had great fun : )

I'm sure that there are lots of young aspiring music producers out
there who look up to you as one of their influences, what can you tell
them which may help them live out their passion?

The best success I have had is by not writing tracks according to what I think other people will think of them, or what other people want. It sounds a bit corny I know, but write the tunes for yourself and then others will follow.

When you're not spinning on the decks or being busy in the studio,
what do you do?

I watch loads of nerdy sci-fi and anime shows, I learn a few languages and hang out with friends when I can. Usually if I have free time I spend it learning ways I can make my career better, so in a sense my work is also my hobby.


Can you name us one electronic dance tune that makes you hyper every
time you listen to it?


Andain - Beautiful Things (Gabriel & Dresden Remix)

Anything for your fans to look forward to in the future? New
releases? Gigs? News?


I've just put out my new release Metro/Wannabe on Anjunadeep. Next month is my new track Delta with a PROFF remix on the flip. Just finishing up my Euro gigs now then am heading to Indonesia then Australia. June and July I'll be back in UK working in the Anjunabeats studio, and generally raising hell also I hope!

On the behalf of the moderators and the members of TranceCommunity, I
would like to say thanks for your time in replying and in answering my
questions. We wish you all the best in your career and may your music
be heard around the world!


Cheers, all the best!


Thanks!
-Miguel Libre aka Motionmigs
---------------------------------------


Check out Jaytech's official homepage here!

ALSO CHECK OUT MY REVIEWS ON SOME OF JAYTECH'S TRACKS HERE ON SOUNDSCAPES.

0 comments:

 
 
 
Proudly Pinoy!
ALL ARTICLES posted on this site are original works of Miguel Libre. Please ask permission before reposting any articles from this website.

Contact:
info(at)motionmigs(dot)com

Logo created by Mind Play Graphics