Interview with VADIM SOLOVIEV [2010]

Tuesday, May 25, 2010



VADIM SOLOVIEV is considered as one of the Russian pioneers of progressive music dating back in 1998. With his project, "Sound Fiction", Vadim quickly established himself as one of very first Russian producers who have set foot onto the global circuit. Aside from which, he was once part of the infamous homegrown label, "Atmosphere", headed by Volodya Fonar.

As seen in his works on labels like Armada Music, Intuition Recordings, Captured Music, Anjunadeep, and Lost Language, Vadim Soloviev is simply one of the few who can actually create works that define the best of both worlds-- progressive trance and progressive house music.


Hey there! How are you doing?

Heya! All good, busy days here and its really great!


In your opinion, what sets you unique compared to the other progressive music producers out there?

Well, first of all I`m always in search of something new in my sound and not getting stuckwith the same presets for ages you know, hehe. As for the latest years i`m trying to balance on that edge between progressive house and progressive trance like many of us do this days I think. Actually I believe that really good producer should always pick the best sides from different genres and not to be limited with his favourite one. Otherwise we`ll have what we have now – thousands of equal tracks on the beatport and lots of absolutely useless stuff. Anyway, keeping all this in mind i`m still trying to bring some special recognized “vadim soloviev” things from track to track.


Can you tell us how you were able to come up with your signature sound that we hear today?

As I said – its pretty strange thing cos everything influences my musical taste from year to year, but there are also some fundamental influences that made it as it is now. Of course it’s the pioneers of EDM like BT, Chicane or even Robert Miles for example. There are lots of them!


What do you think is your greatest achievement so far as a producer/ DJ?

As for producer it’s a couple of remixes that I really love more than any other tracks ofmine, like remix for David West`s “True Love”, Tilt`s “Angry Skies” or Bart Claessen`s “First Light”. For sure one of the biggest things happened to my productions is reaching 1st place at the beatport or audiojelly like happened with “Stay with Me” recorded with Marcie or with a single “Alive” of my side project Sound Fiction. But all this happened so long time ago, no one already remembers it now hehe. As for the DJ - my biggest achievement was invitation from Billboard Russia to play at MIDEM in Cannes for 3000 people - music industry professionals. Really weird experience I should say, cos they are not regular clubbers you know, they were evaluating the show and everything was good. Really nice crowd :)


Your latest remix with Vladimir “Proff” Ershov on Joonas Hahmo’s “Pizzi” is out now on Hahmo Recordings, right? Could you share to us some insights on how you guys were able to produce such a fine piece of work?

It’s a funny story in fact. I was not supposed to remix this tune. But that day I came to Proff`s studio with my laptop and he forgot his Cubase key at home. The deadline was in 12 hours I guess and he also had a gig in the nearest club that night. So we just opened my Logic and did this remix together tweaking it after the gig already. We actually almost had a chance to test it on the dancefloor hehe.


What are your top three tracks as of now?

Chris Reece - Salvation (Jerome Isma-Ae And Daniel Portman Ibiza Late Dub)

Harryson - Stay Awake

And my new track that has a working title “Tempo”


If you had a chance to create your own event, how would it be?

I was in Amsterdam last autumn at the Ocean Diva boat on the Intuition / Garuda /Coldharbour party, and I really liked this atmosphere. I mean the boat and the view of thebay etc. So it would be definitely something like this. I really like all this pool / beach parties mood. And its pretty hard to pick a line up for this. There would definitely be me and Proff haha.


Aside from Russia, where else do you think would be a perfect breeding ground for your music?

To be honest, everywhere except Russia


Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Bacterium


What’s next for Vadim Soloviev?

We are now working with Proff on our own single, but I think it will be different from“Pizzi” Remix. I`m also working on a couple of tracks that should be more clubby and trancey than I usually do. Besides, there is upcoming release from me of a summer vocal track on Intuition Deep. Moreover i`m now starting a remix for a very well known UK producer and DJ, but i`m not sure i`m allowed to tell his name yet :) As for the DJ side of me, i`m still planning to launch a podcast show, but as you may know it becomes more difficult from day to day because of all this legal issues. I`m also playing in different venues in the next months, so we`ll definitely see some of your readers on the dancefloors soon!


I, Miguel Libre, would like to thank you for your time in making this interview possible! Good luck on your career, and may you have an awesome year!

Thanks for your interest and all the best to you, Miguel, and to all your readers!


•••

Check out the review on Vadim Soloviev's latest work with PROFF: "Pizzi" by Joonas Hahmo

The Official Website of Vadim Soloviev

Vadim Soloviev on Beatport.com

0 comments:

 
 
 
Proudly Pinoy!
ALL ARTICLES posted on this site are original works of Miguel Libre. Please ask permission before reposting any articles from this website.

Contact:
info(at)motionmigs(dot)com

Logo created by Mind Play Graphics