Interview with TYDI [2009]

Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Original interview posted May 27, 2009 for trancecommunity by motionmigs.
Interview conducted by motionmigs for trancecommunity.com [I am currently not affiliated with the site anymore.]

Tyson Illingworth, also known as TyDi, is "Australia’s number one DJ". During his teenage years, his addiction to music helped him shape into the magnificent TyDi we all know today. Furthermore, his passion for electronic dance music allowed him to compete in various DJ competitions and reach massive accomplishments like playing at the Trance Energy 2009 at a young age, and lots more. In the trance scene, TyDi is known to produce and release tracks under the world’s number one DJ’s record label, Armada, including his newly-released album “Look Closer”. All of these, he had done at the age of 22, there is no doubt that TyDi is an inspiration to all young aspiring DJs and producers.

In your early 20s, you have done this and that in the field of
electronic dance music, I was just wondering, how do you feel right now?

I feel great! Everything is happening and every day is exciting. Life couldn't be any better!

What are the steps you take in order to get a crowd more involved when
DJing? (for example a crowd is dead)

Its all about playing the right music at exactly the right time - Track selection is everything. I watch the crowd, see what works and build my set based on how they react.

Do you follow any routines to keep you in state before you spin? If
yes, what are they?

I like to relax before I play, have a spa or get a massage.

What got you into electronic dance music? which artists have influenced you?

I was exposed to dance music when I was about 14 through some older friends - I fell in love with it and knew from that point I wanted to create it. was influenced by so many different artists, anyone that was making powerful records.

Here's a tricky question, among your productions, can you name 3 of
your favorites?

My 3 favorite songs are always the last 3 that I wrote haha. Right now it is 'Look Closer' from my new album which is more of a chillout song and 'Is it cold' has always been special to me. My most favorite is my latest single called 'You Walk Away', it has vocals from Audrey Gallagher and is on Armin's new CD ASOT 2009.


When you travel around the world, what are the songs you listen to in
your "favorites" playlist? (Name around 3)

My favorites list changes every week when I go through all my new promos. During my travels and on flights I often listen to different styles of music like chillout and movie soundtracks.


Among the places you haven't been to, where would you want to go and
DJ in an event? Why there?

The Philippines would be nice! Also I think it would be awesome to DJ somewhere like Egypt so I could see the pyramids.


You're just a few ages older than me, and I was just wondering, what
were the things you have done during your high school
days that have contributed to your career today?

I spent every lunch time in high school in the music room learning how to read and write music.. I think that helped a lot. After school I would come home and mix tunes or produce my own stuff. I was honestly addicted to dance music!


Aside from DJing and making music, are there other things you enjoy doing?

I grew up by the beach, so its always nice to visit home and go for a swim. I don't have a lot of time off so when I do its always spent with my close friends or just relaxing. Champagne in the spa is always a nice way to relax.

If you were given a chance to spin with a DJ of any record label, who
would it be, and why?

I think I have already DJ'd with them all - I've played with Tiesto, Armin, PVD and all those guys..

Aside from your newly-released album "Look Closer", what can we expect
from Tydi in the near future?

Well my two new singles 'You Walk Away' and 'Somehow' will be out this year along with a remix for Nadia Ali - and I am very excited about those tracks. I am touring everywhere to promote my new album and I am just about to mix a new CD for Ministry of Sound... its all happening!

Check out TyDi's official website!

0 comments:

 
 
 
Proudly Pinoy!
ALL ARTICLES posted on this site are original works of Miguel Libre. Please ask permission before reposting any articles from this website.

Contact:
info(at)motionmigs(dot)com

Logo created by Mind Play Graphics