Interview with ONUR OZMAN [2011]

Tuesday, January 25, 2011




Discovering a unique sound is a long process, it's a destination to arrive at. 


For a very young and talented man like Onur Ozman-- the world is a place without borders where art is the primary medium that brings together people. Onur, born and raised in Turkey, recently moved to Zurich, Switzerland, where he continued excelling in the field of contemporary deep house music. Aside from being a passionate producer and a film-maker, this 22-year old Renaissance man studies architecture where his imagination dives into reality. As he celebrates more than one-hundred releases, Onur Ozman takes on a mission this year to--yet again-- defy limits. 


Onur Ozman's Official Website


Copyright © 2011 Miguel Libre


Hello there Onur! How’s 2011 so far?


I have already 2 EPs released. Hold On EP from Onethirty Recordings and The Shadow of the Statue EP from Acryl Music. The reactions are awesome. I'm glad so far.
Onur Ozman's latest release on Acryl Music. Click here for the review.



In your opinion, what is the sound of Onur Ozman? 


Discovering a unique sound is a long process, it's a destination to arrive at. I'm trying to define an area in between rationality and natural instinct. My music has been always a bit minimal and a bit groovy.


Can you share to us the story on how you became a producer?


I wasn't surrounded with talented DJs or producers. I grew up in a small city. There weren't so many things that could inspire me. However, creating something from tiny small sections to an enourmos stuff has been always a passion for me. I am a part of this culture, not only a music genre. Living underground beyond the borders. That's how I became a producer.


Among all the productions you have made, which one for you is your most favorite? 


I find it an impossible question to answer. I like all of them. If you could decide which one of your ex-girlfriends would be your favourite, I could answer this, too. What me excites is now (what I produce) and the future (what i will).


If given a chance, name one producer whom you would like to work with in the future? 


I do not have borders. This is a wide-range question. I don't have a dream person to work with but have so many people I support and may work in the near future togerther. That could even be a hip-hop vocalist or a rock guitarist, too.  


You were born in Turkey and now based in Switzerland, right? Did moving to Zurich affect your life as a producer / DJ? 




I moved to Zurich 6 Months ago which is a short period of time to figure out if that was a right idea or wrong. Actually, I love this city and Swiss people. Here you can find stunning djs and producers. Not like the common people, i like also the night life good enough. What I'm really interested in is the daily life which seems at first a bit frozen but if you realize the meanings the people have in their faces, then it turnes suddenly into an inspiring way of living. 
Onur Ozman's new home-- Zurich. [image source]




If life only allowed you to listen to one single record for the rest of your life, what would it be? 


It should be something that I never tend to listen to before. Because I would have a plenty of time to think about why i've never tried to hear a record like this. I mean, a different way of thinking. Isn't that why we make music for?


What advice can you give to young and aspiring producers out there? 


They can start by stopping reading interviews. That gives them nothing. :) I really mean it. They need, at first, to find themselves. When they succeed it, there is only one thing remains, that no matter what happens, they should never give up. That's it.




How do you make your music?


I live my ordinary life and when I want to produce. I stay alone in Studio. This is the key for me. I always start a track by finding a unique sound. Not a "Sample" that another producer can easily remind. It should be something that nobody heared before. That becomes the definition of the whole process. Just like a guide actually. As I said before, producing is a process, from little sections to something complicated. People say, starting is the hardest thing but in producing what more important is managing to finish it.


What can we expect from Onur Ozman in the near future? 


There's a lot in this year. I've many upcoming EPs which are almost completely scheduled. I expect in this year aprx. 20-30 releases more. I worked with remarkable names and keep working, too. Right now, I have significant projects which i even haven't signed to a label yet. To keep my audience surprising I won't give so much clues. About the gigs they can always follow me on my website which will be periodical updated. Thank you all.


I, Miguel Libre, would like to personally thank you for your time and your effort in making this interview possible! Support as always, and may 2011 be an awesome year for you!


Go to Beatport.comGet These TracksAdd This Player

0 comments:

 
 
 
Proudly Pinoy!
ALL ARTICLES posted on this site are original works of Miguel Libre. Please ask permission before reposting any articles from this website.

Contact:
info(at)motionmigs(dot)com

Logo created by Mind Play Graphics