Interview with TARMO [2010]

Sunday, October 17, 2010





Twenty-ten is the year this talented artist became a part of the frontier of the Finnish progressive house scene. With his emotional and vocal soundtracks "I Sing For You" and "Sun and Sea", Tarmo Mäkipaja, alongside vocalist AC, has started to gain attention in Finnish dance charts, and has acquired support from prominent names in the industry. 


As a video director and a collaborating producer, Tarmo has also worked the likes of fellow Finns, Otto Yliperttula and Karolus Viitala, the two guys behind the guise, Something Good.  


With more releases, collaborations, and free bootlegs in the future, Tarmo surely is someone who the scene should start eying on. 




Hi Tarmo, how are things going?

Ciao, I’m good thanx! Started to wear my warm winter jacket because it's getting
chilly here in Finland.




Can you share with us the story behind how you became a producer?


I listened to rap / hip-hop when I was a teenager, and of course I had to have
my own rap band. First it was just deejaying but it wasn’t enough… so I started
to make my own beats as well. At some point (I think it was like 4 years ago…) I
just started to make more house oriented music and so this is where I am today.


Aside from making music, what else do you enjoy doing?


I really enjoy making a good dinner. I usually spend hours in the kitchen in
great company and sip some wine while cutting vegetables. If you ever come to
Finland you can write a review about my cooking as well. J


Let’s talk about sound. In three words, can you describe to us your
sound?


olive oil, garlic, black pepper


How is the scene back there in Finland?


The scene is good, a lot of new dj’s and artists coming up. I think people are
really trying to push things forward here.


How has being Finnish contributed to your career?


Finland is a small country and the people are quite innovative. I've been really
lucky as I've managed to find good people to work with. Working with a good
crew has given me the chance to learn a bunch of interesting new things, such
as making music videos..


Okay, here is something tricky. In your career so far, what do you think
is your biggest achievement?


As a producer I think this new release with AC - “Sun and Sea” is the biggest
thing so far. We’ve got some nice attention on the official dance chart here in
Finland and the song was also included in a compilation CD with all time summer
hits. Thanks everyone for the support!


As a dj I think the biggest achievement took place this summer. Me and the boys
threw a gig for like 5000 people at the legendary Yyteri beach. That was cool.


Complete the sentence: Tarmo releases are incomplete without ____.


LOVE


What are your all time top three tracks?


Man, this question is too hard to answer because I listen to all kinds of music
from soul to techno, from mainstream to underground… so there’s like 10
favourite songs in every category…


But I can tell you my 3 favourite new tracks of this year so far. So this is how my
New Music Awards would look like:


1. Robyn – Dancing on my own (Best new pop song of the year 2010)
2. Axwell – Nothing but love 4 you (Best new house track of the year 2010)
3. Shakira – waka waka (Sharam arena mix) (Best remix of the year 2010)


Your latest release with AC, “Sun and Sea” is out now. Can you
share with us your inspirations behind this wonderful vocal piece?


Well AC found this old background I had made like 2 years ago but never really
finished. She thought it had a good feeling to it and so we started working
on it together and once that happened, it all came together quite easily.
What we aimed at was to make the background quite intense and pair that with
warm and happy vocals. I guess for us Sun and Sea just pictures one of those
endless summer days that you spend with the best of people, when you're just
truly happy and it feels like the summer would go on forever..


What is next for Tarmo?


The music video for “Sun and Sea” is going to be ready in about 3 weeks.
I’m really exited about it. It’s gonna be a nice piece of summer action!
Also I try to get better and better as a producer so definitely new things coming
up!


I, Miguel Libre, would like to personally thank you for making this interview possible! Good luck in your career and full support as always!


Thanks MIGZ It's always a pleasure to talk with you!







For more information about TARMO and his music, visit:
http://www.myspace.com/tarmomusik

http://soundcloud.com/tarmo-sweetshake-net


Go to Beatport.comGet These TracksAdd This Player

0 comments:

 
 
 
Proudly Pinoy!
ALL ARTICLES posted on this site are original works of Miguel Libre. Please ask permission before reposting any articles from this website.

Contact:
info(at)motionmigs(dot)com

Logo created by Mind Play Graphics